Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

First 'Real' Dinner

Cheese Tortellini Soup with White Beans, Kielbasa, and Spinach!

After posting about our happy new addition a few weeks ago, my friend over at Brock Street thought I might now be compelled to start a cooking blog, and since I didn't see a cooking blog in my near future, I said I'd post about the first interesting and edible thing that I cooked on it, excuse me...I mean, her.

Up until two nights ago, we had boiled water (for tea), made macaroni & cheese (Annies) with tuna, tomatoes & peas..and fried an egg or two, not very exciting! This darling piece of equipment required quite a bit of prep before use, which we just hadn't gotten around to yet...except for one burner. But this last weekend I could stand it no longer, so we readied her for our first cooking adventure together, and I have to say...she did an amazing job!

The recipe comes from one of my favorite cookbooks "Celebrate the Rain" by the Junior League of Seattle. Their first cookbook "Simply Classic" is even more of a favorite and has been used over and over and over again. The books are filled not only with delicious (and easy) recipes, but also with beautiful Pacific Northwest art done by local artists such as Pierce Milholland (1935-2005), who's painting "Summer Picking" is what you see gracing the cover of the cookbook above. The painting below, "Carnation Flower Farm #2", is also one of his masterpieces.

I can't even begin to tell you how yummy this soup is and if you'd like to try it, here's the recipe (this is my version which varies ever so slightly from the original) :

- 2tb. olive oil
- 12 oz. smoked kielbasa sausage - fully cooked & thinly sliced (sometimes we mix it up and use
something like garlic sausage)
- 1/2 c. diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 2 32 oz. boxes organic chicken stock (or homemade)
- 1 14 1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes with liquid (I like the organic fire roasted kind)
- 2 15 oz. cans white cannellini beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 9 oz. package fresh cheese tortellini (or frozen)
- 1 6 oz. bag baby spinach
- s & p to taste
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Heat olive oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add kielbasa, onion, garlic, thyme and red pepper flakes and saute until kielbasa is lightly browned. Add broth and tomatoes (with liquid), and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add beans and tortellini and simmer until pasta is tender (they'll float), 5-10 minutes. Stir in spinach and turn off heat; let stand for about 2 minutes. Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese...and enjoy!

Post a Comment

0 Comments