In Grandmother's day, homes were kept immaculate. There was a sense of pride in keeping a tidy, clean house. You would see freshly scrubbed pantry shelves, polished stoves, freshly washed floors, and spotless sinks. These capable homemakers worked hard and could be trusted to do their jobs right. This example helped train children to do their best at every task. Mothers today can't seem to understand that it takes hard, difficult work to keep a home looking nice. Yes, we have times of sorrow, sickness, and babies who need us. But on normal days, we need to spend more time truly making a home. It must be sanitary, so the family stays healthy. Our dishes must be clean and put away. Our counters must be scrubbed and our floors must be washed.
The Virtuous woman rose while it was yet night and tended to her home duties. She was busy before the sun came up. Then she opened drapes and windows and greeted the silence of the early morning.
Before her family even woke up, she had her prayer time, her Bible study; she was dressed neatly, and had started breakfast. She is the ideal and what we, as godly homemakers, should strive for.
This morning, I am taking some extra time to clean and make things look nice. I have several errands to do and lots of activities that need my attention. But this morning, I woke up at 4 am and have been getting a head start on the day. I have been working slowly and happily. No one is underfoot. Everything is quiet. I will make sure everything is neat and pleasant and greet my family with a smile. There will be no rushing. Only a calm serenity.
May you have a joyous, peaceful day!
Blessings,
Mrs. White
Mrs. White's special book for Homemakers - "Mother's Book of Home Economics."
Subscribe to The Legacy of Home

0 Comments