Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Webs of Lace

I've been very good today and have immersed myself into my next degree module which is a personal specialism about making site specific work. My interest still lies in all things to do with lace and in particular the way it can reveal and conceal and so I have been researching artists who use lace type structures in site specific work.


Aunty Peggy has Departed, 2003

I have been fascinated by the work of Shane Waltener whose fabulous doilies range from those on a small scale such as this installation in a 1940's phone booth in the disused Aldwych tube station to the enormous web that surrounded the Chihuly chandelier in the V & A foyer...
Chilhuly Doily, 2004

and his piece World Wide Web which was a 25 square metre knitted cobweb of shirring elastic installed in the Museum of Art and Design in New York, designed to disrupt the gallery space.

World Wide Web, 2007


And as often happens I got disrtracted along the way and discovered the work of Susie Cowie who also does some amazingly beautiful things with lace but on a much smaller scale.

For me this is the most exciting part of taking a degree - the discovery of new and different artists. I love the research almost as much as the making!

Post a Comment

0 Comments